Tuesday, April 28th, 2009
South of France Holiday – Beaches, Bicycles & Canoes
For something a little different to our traditional summer holiday (relaxing on one of the beaches in Europe) a group of us thought it might be fun to explore the south of France by driving there from the UK using a ferry crossing to get to mainland Europe.
The aim is to not only to enjoy some of the best beaches on the French Riviera, but also to time it so that we can take in a mountain stage of the world’s most famous bicycle race, the Tour de France and perhaps do a little canoeing and camping in the Ardeche region of France.
As there will be 6 of us travelling together, I thought that I would write about the planning of the trip as well as a report after we get back in the hope that some of the information may be of use to others as I feel this could also make for a fantastic family holiday in France.
So the basic plan is (click on the links for more details):
- Hire a Car to Carry 6 People
- Get to France by Ferry or Ferry to Spain and then Drive into France
- Travel to the south of France by car
- Watch a mountain Stage of the Tour de France
- Enjoy some Canoeing in the Ardeche
- Enjoy a day or two on one of the best French beaches
Our accommodation in France will consist of:
- Bed & Breakfasts